Ya Moulana II Denim Jacket
Depicting our love for Gnawa music, this vintage denim jacket is all about fusing the traditional and modern. A blend of 19th/20th c. Berber/Amazigh jewelry and modern jewelry hand-embroidered. The Gnawa music instrumentations are hand-beaded and embroidered in our heart.
- Vintage denim jacket
- Cotton yarn: red
- Wool yarn: black, bronze, forest green
- Beading: black, blue, green/gold, red, small pearls
- Cowrie shells (buttons)
- Swarovski® crystals: golden shadow
- Antique Berber/Amazigh jewelry
- Contemporary jewel accents
- Artisanal Gnawa II Collection Inspiration
- Series II of the Gnawa Artisanal Collection focuses on the fashion of not only the Gnawa musicians but also the jewelry worn by Imazighen (Berber) women.
I love antique Amazigh jewelry and Berber/Amazigh jewelry is one of the best examples of the unique savoir-faire of Moroccan craftsmen. To the Amazigh woman, jewelry is not only an adornment but a powerful statement about the essence of who she is. Each jewelry piece is her own distinctive creation bearing testimony to her identity. It is a symbol and source of a women’s economic power (as she is free to sell at will). It also signifies wealth, social status, tribal identity, and marital status. Morocco is also known for some of the most beautiful and intricate embroidery and beading work. I wanted to incorporate this into the series.
Each of the fifteen pieces in this series is a repurposed item. Half of the collection was created in Marrakech with a group of women whom I work with locally.
The collection is a mixed media fusion of antique 19th and 20th century Berber jewelry, hand drawn artwork, beading, sculptural weaving, and embroidery.