Created entirely using coiling and twining techniques, this cape is inspired by the Gnawa song "Chbakrou," displaying the quiet strumming of the guembri, the slow movements of the qreqeb, and the steady pounding of the ganga. Traditional Gnawa colors of green and yellow represent nature and femininity, respectively.
- Wool yarn: gold, yellow, multi-shaded green
- Cotton yarn: yellow/green
- Cowrie shells
- Swarovski® crystal rhinestones: topaz
I use sustainable and locally sourced yarns for the Artisanal Collection. All items are handmade. If you are interested in purchasing a piece from the Artisanal Collection, please contact me.
- Artisanal Gnawa I Collection Inspiration
- For the first series of the Gnawa Artisanal Collection, I was transported as I listened to the different songs whilst creating each piece by hand. I wanted to interpret the rhythm as it transports you through each piece. There are 10 pieces in the first collection and each one is named after a song that I feel is a reflection of the piece.
I listened to the music all day and when I work, especially music by Mâalem Mahmoud Guinia, Mâalem Mohamed Kouyou and Hamid El Kasri. As well as interpreting the rhythm, I used colors that are an integral part of the Gnawa culture.